6 Things You Can Do Every Day to Help Your Online Reputation
Maintaining your online reputation is a tricky exercise, one requiring equal parts diligence and creativity. In a day when Google is prone to rank the latest news about your site on the first page, whether or not it is representative of your business, you have to be able to not only know about these attacks, but have the ability to react to them.
There are steps you can take on a daily basis to minimize the effects of these events, and we’ve complied a handy list you can use every day to help manage your online reputation!
6 Tips to enhance your online reputation on a daily basis!
- Monitor – The Web is a big place, and you need to be monitoring what is said about you and your company. Accomplishing this on your own is a full time job, so make sure you use some of the great tools available for finding what’s being said about you. Some of these are Google Alerts, Mention, and Topsy, among many.
- Solicit reviews – Ask your best customers to help you out by making positive reviews for you. Repeating this on a regular basis helps push any negatives further down the search results where they won’t be found.
- Be Nice – It should go without saying that if you are being less than gracious in your dealings with your public, it will come back to bite you where, well, you know where. Be nice, even when it hurts!
- Search Google – Make regular searches of Google for name, product and keyword mentions related to your company. Being proactive in this regard will certainly pay dividends! Also, don’t neglect to look at Google Images for product images tied to reviews.
- Add positive content – Make it a practice to add new, positive content that will offset negative entries. This can be done with guest posts or content on popular Web 2.0 sites like Tumblr and Squidoo.
- Link out to positive mentions – Be sure and link out to positive reviews of your site. This serves two purposes: outgoing authority links in addition to highlighting your content in Google.
Maintaining a terrific online reputation is a bit of work, but is totally necessary in an environment where we can be trashed quite nicely in minutes!