7 Local SEO mistakes that are easy to make
All of us are busy with our local businesses, and it can be all too easy to make mistakes in SEO, especially because the darn thing keeps changing all the time. Very few of us can afford the luxury of having a full-time SEO expert on staff, so we are left to soldier on, trying to not make a fatal mistake.
So in the spirit of doing all we can to avoid having our local search rankings drop out of sight, we’ve put together 7 easy to make local SEO mistakes to stay away from. Here’s hoping you do.
- Lack of local content – If you want to attract a local audience, you need a handful of local content. Not only that, it would be great if that could happen on an ongoing, regular basis, as Google always rewards fresh content.
- Keyword strategy is non-existent – If you are unclear just which keywords you ought to target, you are lost before you start. Take the time to do or commission some keyword research so that you can properly optimize your site.
- Few or no reviews – You need reviews, and the most effective way it to ask some of your most satisfied customers to give you a hand. They will usually be happy to, and this evidence of social proof will go a long way for you. Also, don’t attempt to manipulate reviews. You will be discovered.
- Inconsistent NAP data – Ensure that your name, address and phone is the same across all social and web platforms. An easy task to do, and vital for Google.
- Not using videos – Don’t think videos are for local SEO? Try again. Rank easily on YouTube for local keywords your customers are searching for.
- Absence of Social media – Make sure you tie in your social media pages into your site, and offer people the opportunity to share your content all over the place. If you miss out on this one, you will regret it.
- No mobile optimization – Since now over half of all searches are not only local in intent, they are done via a mobile browser, which means that your customers are out there searching for you on their phones, and you’re telling me you’re not available? Not a good idea.